Jerk chicken with pomegranate rice
For the jerk chicken
- 4 part-boned chicken breasts, skin on (substitute boneless chicken breasts if part-boned are not available)
- ½ large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 scotch bonnet chillies, roughly chopped
- 40g/1½oz ginger, peeled and chopped roughly
- 125ml/4½fl oz malt vinegar
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
For the rice
- 200g/7oz basmati rice
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- 1 small bunch chervil leaves
- 4 tbsp chives, roughly chopped
- 50g/2oz frisée lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
For the jerk chicken, using a sharp knife, make deep cuts into the chicken flesh and place into a bowl.
Place the remaining jerk chicken ingredients into a food processor and blend to a purée. Pour the marinade over the chicken and turn to coat all the pieces. Place into the fridge for at least four hours, but preferably overnight.
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
Heat a griddle pan until very hot. Add the chicken pieces and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side, then place onto a baking tray.
Spoon the remaining marinade over the chicken and transfer to the oven to cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 2-3 minutes before serving.
For the rice, place the rice into a saucepan with 400ml/14fl oz of cold water. Cover with a lid and place over a high heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer very gently until all of the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender (about 10-15 minutes). Turn off the heat and leave to steam for 5-6 minutes.
Place the rice into a bowl and add all the remaining rice ingredients and mix well to combine. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
To serve, spoon a little of the rice onto each plate and top with a piece of jerk chicken. Garnish with a couple of wedges of lime.