Jack Monroe's flapjacks
- 4 tbsp oil, butter or margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 200g/7oz golden syrup, honey or maple syrup
- 300g/10½oz porridge oats
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon or mixed spice
- 70g/2½oz sunflower seeds (or other seeds)
- 30g/1oz pumpkin seeds (or other seeds)
- 200g/7oz dried apricots (or other dried fruit), roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 210C/190C Fan/Gas 6½. Lightly grease a deep 20cm/8in square cake tin.
If using butter or margarine, melt it in a pan. Add the syrup to the melted butter or oil. Mix in all the remaining ingredients.
Spoon into the baking tin and flatten with a spoon or spatula.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and starting to firm at the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Cut into 10 pieces.
These flapjacks can be frozen for three months. You could make a double batch if you have the space.
Children can help make this recipe by weighing and measuring the ingredients, mixing the them into a bowl, greasing the tin and spooning the mixture into the tin. An adult should take control of using the oven and cutting the flapjacks.