Italian strawberry and chocolate chunk cake
A delicious taste of Italy using British strawberries makes for a perfect dessert or afternoon tea.
You’ll need a 20–22cm cake tin.
- 4 free-range eggs
- 175g/6oz extra virgin coconut oil or unsalted butter
- 200ml/7fl oz honey or maple syrup
- 150g/5½oz ground almonds
- 150g/5½oz white spelt flour
- ½ unwaxed lemon, zest only
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 150g/5½oz dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), broken into large chunks
- 250g/9oz strawberries, hulled and halved