Hot smoked salmon with warm potato and mange tout salad
- 2x140g/5oz salmon fillets
- knob ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dark, sweet soy sauce (ketjap manis)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 lime, juice only
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 310g/11oz new potatoes
- 140g/5oz mange tout
- 1 lemon, juice only
- knob of butter
- olive oil
- handful of shredded coriander and basil
- oakwood smoked chippings used for smoking, NOT FUEL!
Mix together the ginger, garlic, shallot, soy sauce, maple syrup and lime juice.
Take one sheet of foil, 30cm/12in long, lay salmon piece unmarinaded on one half of foil, drizzle marinade on and season well.
Fold the foil over and turn it into envelope so the salmon is completely sealed. Take another sheet of foil, sprinkle the chippings on one half - put the bag containing the salmon on top of the chippings.
Take a sharp knife and prick the top of the inner bag 20 times, fold the outer foil over the top and seal it in.
Put the foil parcel on a hot griddle pan. Smoke for about 7-10 minutes
You can put it in the oven to finish it off or you can put it on the barbecue.
Boil the new potatoes until tender and do the same with the mange tout
Toss together the potatoes with some olive oil, lemon juice and a knob of butter. Mix in the herbs and serve with the salmon.