Vegan chickpea tacos with mango salsa
For the tortillas
For the toasted chickpeas
- 200g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 purple sprouting broccoli heads, cut into small pieces
- 4 asparagus spears, cut into small pieces (or use more broccoli if asparagus isn't in season)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small dried chilli, finely chopped
- ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the mango salsa
For the tortillas, mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Add 200ml/7fl oz of water and the oil and mix until a smooth dough is achieved. (If it’s too sticky add a little more flour, or, if it’s too dry, add a drop more water.) Divide the dough into small balls. Roll the balls out between two sheets of greaseproof paper to a thickness of approximately 3mm thick. Dry fry in a hot frying pan or griddle until they start to colour and bubble. Keep warm in a very low oven.
For the toasted chickpeas, dry the chickpeas on some kitchen paper. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan and add the chickpeas. Fry for 5–10 minutes, or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to drain on kitchen paper.
Place the broccoli and asparagus in the pan with the remaining olive oil, garlic and chilli. Add the toasted chick peas and paprika. Season with salt and pepper.
For the mango salsa, place all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix together. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve, spoon the toasted chickpea mixture over a warm tortilla and finish with the mango salsa. Serve with guacamole, if desired.
Good ready-made tortillas would be fine in this recipe.