Hearty vegetable soup
This hearty vegetable soup is packed full of flavour and goodness, perfect to warm you up on a cold night.
If eating on a restricted day of an intermittent diet, replace the carrots with deseeded yellow peppers. As part of an Intermittent diet plan, 1 serving provides: Your daily salty food 3 of your 5 daily vegetable portions This meal provides 219 kcal per portion.
- calorie controlled cooking oil spray
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots or 2 yellow peppers, cut into 2cm/1in chunks
- 400g/14oz tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 400g/14oz tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 head young spring greens (approximately 125g/4½oz), trimmed and sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Spray a large non-stick saucepan with oil and cook the onion, garlic, celery and carrots or peppers gently for 10 minutes, stirring regularly until softened.
Add 750ml/26fl oz water and the chopped tomatoes. Crumble over the stock cube and stir in the dried herbs. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
Season the soup with salt and pepper and add the spring greens and butterbeans. Return to a gentle simmer and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until the greens are softened. Season to taste and serve in deep bowls.
Double the recipe if you fancy eating it over a couple of days.
The butter beans can be substituted for other beans from your store cupboard if you don't have any.