Chicken and sausage traybake with harissa, mushrooms and chickpeas
This warming traybake is a perfectly balanced all-in-one dinner, with sweet potatoes for carbs, and leeks for greens.
- 2 leeks, thickly sliced (15mm/⅝in slices)
- 250g/9oz chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 8 good-quality sausages
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in (preferably free-range)
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 heaped tsp rose harissa
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 preserved lemon, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- large handful flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- yoghurt, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Tip the leeks, mushrooms, sausages, chicken and sweet potato into a large roasting tin. Mix through the olive oil, harissa and sea salt, then arrange the sausages and chicken so that they’re sitting on top of the vegetables. Roast for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, mix the drained chickpeas with the preserved lemon, olive oil, spring onions, parsley, garlic and sea salt flakes in a bowl. Set aside at room temperature.
Once the chicken and sausages are golden-brown and cooked through, scatter over the chickpeas. Leave the tin to rest for 10 minutes, then serve hot, with yoghurt alongside.
If cooking for children, halve the amount of harissa paste. Rose harissa is milder than standard harissa. If cooking with normal harissa, use a bit less.