Greek-style chicken traybake
Everyone needs a chicken traybake recipe handy for an easy dinner. The Hairy Bikers deliver.
For the Greek-style chicken traybake
- 2 aubergines, cut into rounds
- 1 red pepper, thickly sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 8 new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 6 chicken thighs on the bone
- 2 tomatoes, quartered, or 8 cherry tomatoes
- 150g/5½oz feta, cut into chunks
- small bunch mint leaves, roughly shredded, to serve
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Put the aubergines, pepper, onion and potatoes in a large roasting dish and drizzle over 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the vinegar. Sprinkle over the garlic, oregano and rosemary sprigs and season with salt and pepper. Cover the dish with kitchen foil and roast for 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Add the chicken thighs, skin-side down, and cook until golden or crispy. Turn the thighs over and cook for a few more minutes.
Turn the oven up to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7.
Scatter the tomatoes and feta evenly over the roasting dish on top of the vegetables. Place the chicken thighs on top, skin-side up. Roast uncovered for 15–20 minutes. Remove from the oven and check the chicken has cooked through by checking the juices run clear with no trace of pink when the thickest part of the leg, between the drumstick and the thigh, is pierced with a skewer.
Garnish the bake with the mint and serve with a simple salad.