- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 80g/2¾oz serrano ham, chopped
- 1 heaped tsp hot smoked paprika
- 8 large tomatoes (about 750g/1lb 10oz), skinned and chopped, or 2 x 400g tins peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 75g/2½oz peas, fresh or frozen
- 100g/3½oz fine green beans
- 4 free-range eggs
- 12 slices chorizo
- 1 red pepper, roasted and skinned, cut into 8 strips (or use peppers from a jar)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the griddled bread
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6 (alternatively you can finish cooking on the hob).
Heat the oil in a large, lidded, ovenproof frying pan or shallow casserole over medium–low heat. Cook the onion and garlic for 5–10 minutes, or until soft.
Add the ham and paprika and fry for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and tomato purée, cover the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the tomatoes are reduced and pulpy.
Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to the boil. Add the peas and beans cook for 3–4 minutes, then drain and refresh in cold water (frozen peas do not require pre-cooking).
Scatter the peas and beans over the tomato sauce. Break the eggs into the sauce. Arrange the chorizo slices and red pepper strips around the eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 10 minutes, or until the egg whites are set and the yolks still soft; check after 8 minutes. Alternatively, cook on the hob over a medium heat with a lid on the pan for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, rub the bread with the garlic, brush with the oil and griddle it on a ridged pan or in a frying pan.
Scatter the parsley over the dish and serve with griddled bread.