Fennel and leek soup
- 25g/1oz butter
- ½ onion, finely sliced
- ½ fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced
- 2 baby leeks, trimmed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 200ml/7fl oz hot chicken stock (vegetarians can substitute vegetable stock)
- 75ml/2½fl oz double cream
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- squeeze lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the butter in a pan, add the onion, fennel and leeks and fry gently until softened slightly. Add the garlic and fry for one minute.
Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
Pour the soup into a blender. Add the cream, half of the chives and the lemon juice. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper and blend until smooth.
To serve, pour the soup into a bowl and garnish with the remaining chives.