Fajita chicken fried rice
Everyone loves fajitas: this stir-fry combines gentle spicy fajita flavours with another family favourite – fried rice – to make a comforting treat for kids.
- 170g/6oz brown basmati rice
- 3 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless, cut into bite-sized chunks
- large splash light olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- ½ orange pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 lime, juice only
- small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook the rice in a pan of boiling water until just tender. Drain well and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, season the chicken well with salt and pepper.
Heat the olive oil in a large wok or high-sided frying pan over a medium–high heat. Fry the chicken until it is browned and cooked through. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate lined with kitchen paper and set aside.
Add the onion and peppers to the pan, season with salt and cook until the vegetables are just tender and starting to colour.
Mix in the spices and oregano and fry for 1 minute. Add the rice, return the chicken to the pan and stir-fry until heated through.
To serve, stir through the lime juice and fresh coriander.
This recipe serves 6 children or 4 adults.
If you would like to add a little heat, swap the sweet smoked paprika for mild chilli powder.