Once you’ve made your own English muffins, you’ll never want to buy them again. Factor in a couple of hours proving time to get Paul Hollywood’s easy version ready to go on the griddle.
Equipment and preparation: You will need a 9cm/3½oz straight-sided cutter.
- 300g/10½ oz strong white bread flour, plus extra for flouring
- 6g fast-action yeast
- 6g salt
- 15g/½oz caster sugar
- 15g/½oz softened butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium free-range egg (about 22g/¾oz), lightly beaten
- 170ml/6fl oz milk (should make a soft dough – you can add up to about 30ml/1floz extra if needed)
- oil, for greasing
- 15g/½oz semolina or polenta, plus extra for dusting