Vegetarian egg fried rice
Packed with vegetables and ready in minutes, this vegetarian fried rice is a great quick and easy mid-week meal.
If you're on a low-FODMAP diet, make sure you only use the green tops of the spring onion, not the white.
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 3 spring onions, sliced on an angle
- ¼ green pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- ¼ red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- ¼ yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- ¼ orange pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- ½ carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2–6 fine green beans, shredded
- 8–10 mushrooms, roughly chopped (oyster mushrooms if on a low-FODMAP diet)
- 2 tbsp frozen peas, defrosted
- 500g/1lb 2oz cold, cooked rice
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce or tamari, to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil to smoking point in a large wok. Add the eggs and swirl with a ladle or spoon, breaking them up as they cook.
Add the spring onions and peppers and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the remaining vegetables, season with salt and pepper, and stir-fry for a couple of minutes until they are softened, but still have a bite.
Add the rice and stir-fry for a few minutes until the rice is piping hot. Season with soy sauce and serve.