Vegetable egg-fried rice
This stir-fry is packed with veg and vitamins, and plenty of protein too from the eggs and sesame seeds. To scale up this budget stir-fry just add extra veg.
Each serving provides 286 kcal, 17g protein, 31g carbohydrates (of which 6g sugars), 8g fat (of which 2g saturates), 9g fibre and 0.7g salt.
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 5 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 300g/10½oz freshly cooked basmati rice, cooled
- 175g/6oz frozen peas
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a wok until hot, then add the oil. When it is hot, add the spring onions and red pepper and stir-fry for 1–2 minutes, or until just softened. Stir in the garlic and add the broccoli with 4 tablespoons of water, then bring to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes, or until the broccoli is just tender and the water has nearly evaporated.
Add the rice and stir fry for 2–3 minutes, or until hot through. Stir in the peas and cook for 1 minute.
Beat the eggs and soy sauce together using a fork. Add the egg mixture to the rice and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes, or until the eggs have just set. Stir in the sesame seeds, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.