Mung dal saag
A really simple, but really good dal recipe. Make a big batch and freeze any leftovers.
- 225g/8oz mung dal (split mung beans)
- 750ml/1pt 7fl oz water
- 2-3 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp asafoetida or fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 green chillies, de-seeded and chopped
- 8 curry leaves
- 100g/3½ oz spinach
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
Put the daal in a heavy-based saucepan, pour in 750ml/1pt 7fl oz water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat then simmer for about one hour, or until the lentils are really soft.
Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the mustard seeds, turmeric, cumin, asafoetida or fennel seeds, ginger, chillies and curry leaves and fry for 2-3 minutes.
when the daal is cooked add to the pan and stir in the spinach and spring onions.
Heat for a further two minutes, season, then serve.
To freeze: transfer to a freezerproof container and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly at room temperature, or in the fridge for 24 hours, then reheat until piping hot