Cypriot lamb with potatoes, tomatoes and onions
This slow-cooked lamb dish makes for a wonderful Sunday lunch with a Mediterranean flavour.
For the Cypriot lamb
For the sheep's yoghurt salad
- 3 tbsp sheep's yoghurt, strained overnight through a muslin to thicken
- handful fresh flatleaf parsley leaves
- pinch cumin seeds, toasted
- ½ cucumber, chopped into cubes
- 3 strips lemon peel, blanched and finely diced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice only
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Place the lamb neck and chops, cumin, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, bay leaves, garlic and oil in a large roasting tin and toss to mix thoroughly. Pour in the lamb stock, cover tightly with foil and roast for 2 hours. Remove the foil and cook for another 1 hour until browned and the liquid is reduced by half.
To make the salad, spoon the yoghurt onto a serving dish. Toss the remaining salad ingredients together in a bowl and spoon on top of the yoghurt. Serve the salad alongside the lamb.