Crab patties with mizuna salad and chilli dressing
For the crab patties
- 600g/1lb 5oz fresh white crabmeat
- 400g/14oz floury potatoes, cooked, mashed and allowed to cool
- 1cm/½in fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the salad
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped
- 75g/3oz caster sugar
- 75ml/3fl oz white wine vinegar
- 75ml/3fl oz water
- 75g/3oz mizuna leaves (substitute with rocket leaves if unavailable)
- 50g/2oz sweetcorn kernels, drained
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 50g/2oz fresh coconut, sliced and toasted in a dry frying pan until golden
For the crab patties, place the crab, potato, ginger and lime juice into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
Add the coriander and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well.
Roll a golf ball-sized piece of crab mix and form it into a flat patty shape. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
Heat a frying pan until hot and add the olive oil. Add the patties and fry on both sides until golden brown all over and heated through. Set aside on kitchen paper and keep warm.
For the salad, place the chillies, sugar, vinegar and water into a pan over a medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for 5-6 minutes to make the dressing.
Place the mizuna leaves, sweetcorn, spring onions and toasted coconut into a bowl and stir gently to combine. Add a little dressing and stir to coat.
To serve, place equal portions of the salad onto plates and top each with two or three crab patties.