Crabcakes with chilli sauce
For the crabcake
- 250g/9oz King Edward potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 10g/½oz butter
- 1 tbsp double cream
- ½ tsp medium curry powder
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- ½ large fresh green chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red onion, grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g/9oz white crabmeat, flaked
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
Chilli sauce ingredients
- 75g/2¾oz caster sugar
- 2 red chillies, roughly chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 8 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 lemongrass stems, finely chopped
- 25g/1oz ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)
- 40ml/1½fl oz sesame oil
- 50ml/2fl oz dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 3 limes, juice and zest only
Boil the potatoes in a saucepan of lightly salted water for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain well, and then return to the pan. Mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth.
Add the butter, cream, curry powder, coriander, chilli, onion and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir together to mix thoroughly, then leave to cool completely.
Meanwhile, check the crabmeat carefully for any flecks of shell and discard. Add the crabmeat to the mashed potato mixture, then shape into four round patties. If the mixture sticks to your hands, simply dip your hands in cold water.
Heat the oil in a shallow frying pan and when hot, carefully add the crabcakes. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until golden-brown on the underside, then carefully turn the crabcake and cook for another 3-4 minutes on the other side. When fully cooked through remove from the pan and place on kitchen towels.
For chilli sauce, place the sugar in a pan on a medium heat and melt to a light brown caramel.
Place the remaining chilli sauce ingredients into a food processor and blend to a smooth purée.
Once the sugar is a rich caramel colour (but not burnt), pour in the purée and stir well.
Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about five minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Serve the crabcakes on a plate with the chilli sauce in a bowl for dipping to the side.