Crab and sweetcorn soup
- 300g/10½oz canned sweetcorn, rinsed and drained (or use fresh sweetcorn)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2.5cm/1in piece ginger, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 200g/7oz crabmeat
- 50ml/2fl oz dry sherry
- 1 litre/1 pint 15fl oz chicken stock
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed with a little water to form a paste
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
Place three-quarters of the sweetcorn into a food processor and blend to a smooth purée.
Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the spring onion and ginger and fry for 3-4 minutes, until the onion is softened, but not coloured.
Add the crabmeat, sherry, sweetcorn purée and the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
Add the remaining sweetcorn and the cornflour paste and stir well.
Pass the beaten egg through a fine sieve held over the soup to create strings of egg in the soup. Cook until the eggs have set as strands.
To serve, ladle equal quantities of the soup into bowls and garnish with sesame seeds and chillies.