- 15g/½oz unsalted butter
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- ½ green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely diced
- corn kernels from 3 cobs
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 150ml/¼ pint milk
- 3 eggs
- 300ml/¾ pint double cream
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 55g/2oz parmesan, freshly grated
- 55g/2oz Gruyere cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
Heat the butter in a frying pan, add the onion, garlic thyme, green pepper and chilli, and cook over a medium heat for eight minutes.
Add half the corn and cook for ten minutes. Set aside.
Place the remaining corn in a food processor with the flour, milk and eggs, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
To the corn in the frying pan add the cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. Fold in the corn puree, the herbs and both cheeses.
Pour the mixture into a greases 1.7 litre/3 pint soufflé dish, place in a hot Bain Marie and bake until the mixture is firm, about one hour.
Let the pudding stand for ten minutes before serving.