Corned beef chilli
- 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (or 100g/3½oz sliced frozen onions)
- 6 large garlic cloves, crushed (or equivalent frozen garlic or 3 tbsp garlic paste)
- 350g tin corned beef (or any other tinned meat), grated
- 400g tin kidney beans (or any other beans or frozen peas), drained and rinsed
- 400g tin cannellini beans (or any other beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes (or 1 tbsp tomato purée and 400ml/14fl oz beef stock)
- 2 tbsp paprika, sweet or smoked (or chilli powder, to taste)
- 2 tbsp ground cumin (or chilli powder, to taste)
- 200ml/7fl oz red wine or strong black tea
- 20g/¾oz dark chocolate (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- cooked basmati rice, to serve (or bread, mashed potatoes or cooked pasta)
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low heat and add the onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until slightly softened and then add the corned beef and both tins of beans. Pour in the tomatoes and add the paprika and cumin. Season with salt and pepper, stir and increase to a medium heat. Cook, stirring gently, for 7–8 minutes and then reduce the heat.
Add the wine and chocolate, if using, and continue cooking for 16–18 minutes, until glossy, dark and smelling fantastic. Serve hot with the rice.
This can be frozen in a sealable container for up to 3 months.