This chorizo gnocchi one-pot is packed with peppers, tomatoes and kale – all you need for a delicious family dinner.
Each serving provides 516 kcal, 22g protein, 55g carbohydrates (of which 17g sugars), 21g fat (of which 9g saturates), 9.5g fibre and 1.9g salt.
- 120g/4¼oz chorizo, diced (buy a ring or pre-diced)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red, orange or yellow peppers, seeds removed and cut into 2cm/¾in chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp sugar
- 500g/1lb 2oz gnocchi
- 100–125g/3½–4½oz kale, leaves roughly chopped and thick stalks discarded (or use a 100g bag of spinach)
- 125g/4½oz ball mozzarella, torn or sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put the chorizo, onion and oil in a large, ovenproof frying pan over a low–medium heat and gently fry for about 10 minutes, until the chorizo is beginning to crisp and the onions are soft.
Add the peppers and fry for 5 minutes to soften, then stir in the garlic and fry for about 1 minute.
Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée and sugar. Use 300ml/10fl oz water to swill out the tomato tins and stir this in too. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the gnocchi. Simmer for 8–10 minutes, stirring often, until the gnocchi are soft and the sauce has thickened.
Preheat the grill to medium–high.
Stir the kale into the pan with the gnocchi and season to taste. Scatter the mozzarella over the top and grill until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
Packs of gnocchi are a great standby to keep in the fridge or cupboard and make a change from pasta.
Bags of frozen sliced peppers are a good-value standby ingredient. To use instead of fresh peppers, stir in with the garlic after you’ve softened the onions, and cook for 2–3 minutes before continuing with step 3.