No bake fridge cake
- 300g/10oz dark chocolate (or chocolate of your choice), chopped into squares
- 150g/5oz unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tbsp golden syrup (or honey or maple syrup)
- 225g/8oz mix of biscuits, roughly broken
- 50g/2oz corn flakes
- 200g/7oz mix of small chocolates or sweets such as malted balls or mini marshmallows
- colourful sprinkles, mini chocolate stars and mini meringues, to decorate
Grease and line a 23cm/9in square baking tin.
In a medium heatproof bowl, add the chocolate, butter and golden syrup. Put the bowl into a microwave and cook on a medium heat 30 seconds, stir and repeat 3–4 times or until it has melted. Make sure to keep an eye on your chocolate because it can burn quite easily. (See the tips box below if you don’t have a microwave.)
Add the broken biscuits, cornflakes, chocolates and sweets, stirring after each addition.
Spoon the mixture to the lined tin. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, press the mixture down to make it flat and even. Top with sprinkles, chocolate stars and mini meringues.
Place the tin into the fridge for about an hour, or until the chocolate has set. Cut into squares and serve.
If you don’t have a microwave you can use the bain-marie method by boiling some water in a saucepan over a low heat, and then putting a heatproof bowl of chocolate on top, stirring until it melts. Make sure the water doesn't touch the bowl.
You could also use dried fruit or nuts as well as, or instead of, the sweets.
You may need the assistance of an adult, if you are a child. Ask them to help you with melting the chocolate, as it will be hot, as well as cutting the cake.