Leftover chicken and sweetcorn noodle soup
Reduce your food waste with this tasty leftover chicken noodle soup that makes great use of a roast chicken carcass.
Watch the video for three ways to use up leftover roast chicken. Get the spiced chicken fajitas recipe here or find the chicken and mustard hotpot recipe here.
- 1 roast chicken carcass and skin, broken up into pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 5cm/2in piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 100g/3½oz cooked cold egg noodles
- 195g tin sweetcorn in water, drained, or frozen sweetcorn
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander
Put the chicken carcass in a large saucepan and cover with 2 litres/3½ pints of cold water.
Add the garlic, ginger, soy and half the chilli to the pan and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 30 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half.
Strain the liquid into a clean saucepan and return to the boil. Add the egg noodles and sweetcorn and simmer for 2 minutes, until heated through.
Stir in the lime juice, remaining chilli and coriander and serve straightaway.
Add any chunks of meat that you have left on the carcass to make the soup more substantial.