Chilli con carne with rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 400g/14¼oz minced beef
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato purée
- 400g/14¼oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g/14¼oz can kidney beans, drained
- ½ bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- steamed basmati rice, to serve
Heat the olive oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrot and celery. Fry until the vegetables are softened, but not browned (about eight minutes).
Increase the heat and add the minced beef and red chilli. Turn regularly to brown the meat on all sides.
Add the paprika and tomato purée. Cook for three minutes, stirring continuously.
Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 35 minutes, adding water if the mixture begins to dry out.
Stir in the kidney beans and the coriander and cook for a further five minutes.
Serve generous portions of chilli with steamed basmati rice.