- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg/2lb 2oz beef mince
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 2 chillies, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g/14oz tinned tomatoes
- 250ml/9fl oz beef stock
- 25g/1oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 400g/14oz tinned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- small bunch coriander leaves, roughly chopped
Heat a large pan until hot then add the olive oil and beef mince. Fry until browned, then remove from the pan and set aside.
Add the onions, garlic, celery and chillies and sweat for 5-6 minutes until golden.
Add all the spices and fry for one minute.
Return the beef to the pan and stir to combine.
Add the tomato purée, tinned tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 1-1½ hours until very tender.
Add the chocolate and kidney beans and simmer for a further five minutes until hot through.
Check the seasoning before adding the coriander leaves and serving.