Chilled tomato bisque
Based on a gazpacho but smooth instead of chunky this soup is wonderfully refreshing on a hot summer's day.
- 1 slice white country bread, crusts removed and broken into large crumbs
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- ½ garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- ½ red chili, seeded and finely diced
- 30ml/1fl oz extra virgin olive oil
- 225g/8oz plum tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 2 tsp tomato ketchup
- 200ml/7fl oz tomato juice
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ red pepper, roasted or grilled, peeled, seeded and diced
- ¼ large cucumber, peeled, seeded and roughly diced
- 2 tsp pesto
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- frozen olive oil cubes (place olive oil in ice cube moulds and freeze)
Place the bread in a food processor or blender. With the machine running add the vinegar, garlic, sugar and chili, and blend until smooth.
Add the extra virgin olive oil until the bread will absorb no more then, a little at a time, add the tomatoes, tomato ketchup, tomato juice, spring onions, red pepper, cucumber and pesto. Continue to blend to form a smooth emulsion. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Serve with frozen olive oil cubes