Chilled soup of carrots, pink grapefruit, green olives and hazelnuts
- 500g/1lb 2oz carrots, peeled
- 50g/2oz butter
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, crushed
- 750ml/1 pint 7fl oz water
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml/5fl oz milk
- 2 pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented, segments halved
- 1 handful green Gordal olives, stones removed, halved
- 1 handful hazelnuts, crushed and toasted
- 1 punnet fresh micro coriander cress
- 4 tbsp hazelnut oil
Slice the carrots as thinly as possible, using a mandoline.
Heat a large pan until hot, then add the butter, sliced carrots and garlic and gently cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
Add the water, thyme and rosemary and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer, then cover with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the milk. Allow to cool slightly, then transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Place into the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.
To serve, divide the soup among four serving bowls. Arrange the grapefruit segments, olives, nuts and coriander cress on top of the soup, then drizzle over the hazelnut oil.