Chickpea stew with tomatoes and green chilli
This hearty vegetarian stew is quick and easy to prepare. Serve with yoghurt and pitta breads.
Each serving provides 257kcal, 11g protein, 27g carbohydrate (of which 7g sugars), 10g fat (of which 1g saturates), 10g fibre and 1.3g salt.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 or 2 green chillies, to taste, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 X 400g/14oz tins of chickpeas, drained
- 80ml/2¾fl oz water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric, optional
- freshly ground black pepper
- 500g/17½oz cherry tomatoes
- 100g/3½oz baby English spinach leaves
Heat a large deep frying pan over a medium to high heat.
Add the oil, onion, garlic, ginger, chillies and salt and cook for five minutes (or until the onions are soft) being careful to stir regularly.
Add the chickpeas, 80ml/2¾fl oz water, cumin, turmeric and pepper and cook for five minutes or until the water evaporates.
Add the tomatoes and cook for another two minutes to soften.
Remove from the heat and check for seasoning.
Stir through the spinach and top with yoghurt.
To make the pitta crisps, break up pieces of pitta bread and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika.
Bake in a moderate oven for 10-12 minutes or until crisp.
Serve with the stew on a warmed plate.