Chicken with spinach
- 500g/1lb 2oz spinach leaves, washed
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 5cm/2in piece cinnamon stick
- 3-4 green chillies, pricked with a knife
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2cm/¾in piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 head garlic, peeled, cloves left whole
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 800g/1lb 12oz chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1½ tsp garam masala
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp plain yoghurt, stirred
- basmati rice, cooked according to packet instructions, to serve
In a food processor, blend the spinach to a purée using one or two tablespoons of water to loosen the mixture. Set aside.
Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the cardamom pods, bay leaves and cinnamon and fry for 20-30 seconds.
Add the green chillies and onion and continue to fry for 4-5 minutes, or until caramelised.
Meanwhile, blend the ginger, garlic and tomatoes to a smooth paste in the food processor.
When the onions have caramelised, add the paste, chicken pieces and remaining spices to the pan and stir well to combine. Season, to taste, with salt and simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring regularly.
Add the yoghurt, stir well and continue to simmer the mixture until the sauce has thickened and almost dried out.
Stir in the spinach purée and continue to simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then serve with rice.