Easy chicken tikka masala
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned, boned and cubed
- 2.5cm/1in piece of fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, plus extra to garnish
- 1 lime, juice only
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 200ml/7fl oz double cream
- ½ lemon
Put the chicken breasts in a large bowl and mix with the ginger, garlic, chilli, salt, pepper, coriander, lime juice and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Set aside for at least 5 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
Heat a heavy-bottomed shallow pan and, when hot, add the chicken. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is browned on all sides.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large pan and cook the onion and red chilli for 5-6 minutes until golden brown. Add the turmeric and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cream and cook gently for a couple of minutes.
Add the chicken to the creamy sauce and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Check for seasoning, and add lemon juice to taste.
Garnish with fresh coriander and serve immediately with rice or naan bread.