Spiced chicken noodle soup
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 5 large spring onions, trimmed, roughly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2cm/¾in piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, sliced into thin strips
- 1 head pak choi, white and green parts separated, finely chopped
- pinch salt
- 2 chicken thighs, skin and bones removed, flesh chopped into strips
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 litre/1¾ pints hot chicken stock
- 1 dash soy sauce
- 150g/5½oz egg noodles
- 1 stalk lemongrass, lightly crushed with the edge of a knife
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the spring onion, onion, garlic, ginger and chilli and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions have softened slightly.
Add the white shreds of pak choi and the salt. Continue to fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the pak choi has wilted and the other vegetables have softened.
Add the chicken strips and ground allspice and stir until the ingredients are well combined and coated in the allspice. Continue to fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the spices are fragrant.
Add the chicken stock and soy sauce to the pan. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add the green shreds of pak choi, the egg noodles and lemongrass stalk and stir well. Continue to boil the mixture for 4-5 minutes, or until the noodles are tender and the chicken is completely cooked through. Just before serving, stir in the chopped coriander.
Serve in bowls at once.
To make the soup gluten-free, swap egg noodles for rice noodles, and check the stock is gluten-free.