Tikka masala chicken
- 3 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp paprika
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned, boned and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 200g/7oz basmati rice
- 1 tsp ground turmeric, curry powder or pinch of saffron strands (optional)
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2cm/¾in piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 340ml/11fl oz single cream or yoghurt (optional)
- 200g/7oz tomato paste or purée
- 2 tsp English mustard powder
- fresh coriander or parsley leaves, to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the red onion salad
Heat a large frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add the garam masala and paprika. Toast for a couple of minutes then tip the spices onto a plate and set aside.
Drizzle some oil into the frying pan. Add the chicken and fry, tossing from time to time, until golden-brown all over, this should take about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the kettle on. Put the rice in a medium-sized, lidded saucepan and add the turmeric. Pour over enough boiled water to come about 2cm/¾in above the rice. Cover with the lid and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook according to the packet instructions.
Give the chicken a little toss, add the spring onions, ginger and garlic, cream, tomato paste, mustard powder and the toasted spices. Stir the sauce and leave it to bubble away on a low to medium heat until the chicken is cooked through, this should take about 15–20 minutes.
Check the rice is tender and has absorbed all the water. Fluff it up with a fork, and season with salt and pepper. Cover with the lid and keep warm.
When the chicken is cooked, taste the sauce, adding more heat (with paprika) or seasoning. If the sauce is too thick, add a little water; if it is too thin, let it bubble away a little longer to thicken.
Just before serving, make the salad. Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix.
Divide the rice among four plates and top with the curry. Scatter over some coriander leaves and serve with the salad alongside.