Chicken fajitas are a fun meal to cook for the family. Try topping with homemade salsa to make them extra delicious.
This meal is low calorie and provides 418 kcal, 35g protein, 47.5g carbohydrate (of which 11g sugars), 9g fat (of which 3.5g saturates), 8g fibre and 1.2g salt per portion.
For the tomato salsa
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 425g/15oz small vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- large handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
For the chicken fajitas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 450g/1lb chicken breasts, skinned and cut into thin strips
- pinch paprika
- pinch mild chilli powder
- pinch cumin
- pinch dried oregano
- 4 soft wholemeal tortillas
- ½ iceberg lettuce, thinly shredded
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
For the salsa, combine the onion, tomatoes, garlic and coriander in a bowl. Season with pepper. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
For the chicken, heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add the onion and peppers and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken, paprika, chilli powder, cumin and oregano and cook for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and warm them in the oven for 5 minutes.
Spoon one-quarter of the chicken mixture into the centre of each tortilla, add a couple of tablespoons of salsa and some shredded lettuce. Roll up and serve warm.