Chestnut Bourguignon pie
- 125g/4oz dried chestnuts, soaked for 6-8 hours
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1 tsp/5ml dried rosemary
- 210ml/7fl oz vegetarian red wine
- 300ml/10fl oz vegetable stock or water
- 25g/1oz butter or soya margarine
- 8 small pickling onions or shallots, peeled
- 125g/4oz chestnut mushrooms, wiped
- 125g/4oz button mushrooms, wiped
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2-3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 225g/8oz vegetarian puff pastry, thawed if frozen
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
Place the soaked chestnuts, herbs and 150ml/5fl oz of wine in a saucepan with vegetable stock to cover and cook until just tender - approximately 50-60 minutes. Drain the chestnuts, reserving the liquid.
Melt the butter in a frying pan and sauté the onions until slightly browned.
Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
Add the chestnuts, the remaining red wine and sufficient chestnut cooking liquor to cover.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes to reduce the liquid a little.
Stir in the mustard, tamari and black pepper to taste. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
Check seasoning and adjust as necessary.
Spoon the mixture into a pie dish. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and place on top of filling.
Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.