Chestnut and red wine pâté
- 1 tbsp olive or groundnut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- pinch dried thyme
- 150ml/¼pt red wine
- 150ml/¼pt vegetable stock
- 100g/4oz chopped chestnuts (cooked weight)
- 100g/4oz chestnut purée
- 75g/3oz wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 10-15ml/2-3 tsp soy sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh herbs, crackers and a fresh green salad
Heat the oil in a saucepan, gently cook the onion and garlic with the dried thyme until soft.
Add the red wine and vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chestnuts, chestnut purée, breadcrumbs, brandy and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook over a gentle heat until thickened. Spoon the pate into individual ramekins, smooth the surface and then chill in the refrigerator until required.
Serve garnished with fresh herbs, with crackers and crisp green salad leaves.