Carrot and sweetcorn fritters
Brunch, lunch or even dinner – there's nothing quite like the humble fritter. These sweetcorn fritters are easy to make and completely vegan.
Each serving provides 432 kcal, 12g protein, 38g carbohydrates (of which 14.5g sugars), 23.5g fat (of which 15g saturates), 10g fibre and 0.6g salt.
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 198g tin sweetcorn, drained
- 80g/3oz gram (chickpea) flour
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 20g/¾oz fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated (or frozen ginger)
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped, seeds removed if you prefer
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds or mixed seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala (optional)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (or extra virgin olive oil or cold-pressed rapeseed oil)
Put the carrots in a bowl and add the sweetcorn, gram flour, spring onions, ginger, chilli, seeds, garam masala (if using), a good pinch of salt and lots of pepper. Mix well and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Take a palmful of the carrot mixture and flatten it firmly into a fritter. Make another two fritters in the same way.
Cook the fritters in the oil over a medium heat for 3 minutes on each side, or until golden and crisp, pressing with a spatula to flatten. Drain on kitchen paper.
Make three more fritters in the same way. Heat an extra 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan and cook the fritters.
To serve, combine the coconut yoghurt and mint leaves, add a little seasoning and mix well. Put into a small serving bowl. Serve the fritters warm or cold with lemon or lime wedges for squeezing over. Dip and enjoy!