A nourishing and warming low-calorie casserole with a little kick. Serve with your choice of steamed vegetables.
Each serving provides 283 kcal, 36g protein, 19g carbohydrate (of which11g sugars), 7.5g fat (of which 3g saturates), 8.5g fibre and 3.1g salt.
- low-calorie cooking spray
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 celery sticks, thickly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 300g/10½oz peeled butternut squash, cut into 2cm/1¾in cubes
- 500ml/18fl oz chicken stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g tin red kidney beans in chilli sauce
- 1½ tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 600g/1lb 5oz lean, thick gammon steaks, cut into large pieces (any visible fat trimmed)
- salt and freshlly ground back pepper
Preheat oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Spray a wide, ovenproof casserole dish with the low-calorie cooking spray.
Add the onion and peppers and stir-fry for 4–5 minutes over a medium–high heat to soften.
Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Cover and bake for 1½ hours, or until the gammon is tender and the sauce has thickened.
Season and serve with steamed vegetables.
As with any stew, this is even better the next day.