Mozzarella bruschetta with shaved fennel and courgette
- ½ small fennel bulb, herby tops reserved
- 1 small yellow courgette
- small bunch fresh mint, torn into pieces
- ½ orange, skin removed, thinly sliced into rounds
- ½ lemon, juice only
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 thick slice sourdough bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, cut in half
- 125g/4½oz buffalo mozzarella
Using a vegetable peeler, thinly shave the fennel and courgette into strips. Place into a bowl with the mint and half of the fennel tops.
Add the orange slices and lemon juice and stir to combine.
Drizzle in one tablespoon of the olive oil and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Heat a griddle pan over a high heat until smoking hot.
Toast the bread well on both sides for 2-3 minutes, or until scorched with griddle pan marks. Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
Rub the chargrilled sourdough bread with the cut side of the garlic and drizzle over another tablespoon of olive oil.
Tear the mozzarella in half and place onto the toasted bread.
Pile the fennel and courgette salad on top, and drizzle over the remaining olive oil. Scatter over the reserved fennel tops.
The quantities of ingredients in this recipe can be doubled to make a larger snack or to cater for more than one.
Serve with a glass of chilled Mersault or White Burgundy wine.