Buckwheat pasta with potatoes and Swiss chard
A filling baked dish from northern Italy - ribbons of buckwheat pasta and potatoes with cheese and Swiss chard.
- 300g/10½oz pizzoccheri pasta (made usually with 1/3 Italian ‘00’ flour, 2/3 buckwheat flour)
- 200g/7oz waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 200g/7oz Swiss chard, leaves only
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 80g/3oz unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 300g/10½oz bitto or toma cheese, cut into small cubes
- 100g/4oz parmesan (or a similar vegetarian hard cheese), freshly grated
Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
Put the pizzoccheri, potatoes and Swiss chard in a large saucepan and cover with lightly salted boiling water. Cook together until soft, about 14 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small frying pan and fry the garlic until cooked, but not brown.
Drain the pizzoccheri pasta, potatoes and chard and put in a large ovenproof dish. While still warm, mix in the cubes of cheese. Pour over the foaming butter and garlic and sprinkle over the parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then mix together well.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve hot.