Brown stew chicken
The perfect blend of spices and tender chicken in a rich vegetable sauce makes this stew one of our favourites!
Each serving provides 325 kcal, 32g protein, 25.5g carbohydrates (of which 18g sugars), 10g fat (of which 1.5g saturates), 2g fibre and 1.9g salt.
- 8 chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp all-purpose seasoning
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 pimento berries, crushed
- 1 tsp browning or dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ red pepper, sliced
- ½ green or yellow pepper, sliced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- handful fresh thyme
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce or 1 whole Scotch bonnet chilli
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 Scotch bonnet chilli, seeds removed, chopped
Place the chicken in a bowl and add the salt, black pepper, all-purpose seasoning, garlic, pimento berries, browning, sugar, peppers, spring onion and onion. Mix together, put cling film over the bowl and marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (or overnight if possible).
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the chicken mixture and cook the vegetables and chicken for about 5 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is brown. Mix the cornflour with 500ml/18fl oz water and add to the pan. Add the thyme, hot pepper sauce, tomato, ketchup and chilli. Mix well, cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes, until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Remove the whole Scotch bonnet, if using, before serving.
All-purpose seasoning can be found with the spices in most large supermarkets.