Bread stuffed with sausage and zampone
A meaty feast of sausages, cabbage and Alpine cheeses, wrapped in a parcel of freshly baked bread.
For the bread dough
- 250g/9oz strong bread flour, plus extra for kneading
- 7g fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tsp salt
For the filling
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ zampone (pre-cooked, boned pig's trotter), boiled for 20 mins and chopped (available from some Italian delis)
- ¼ savoy cabbage, sliced and blanched
- 2 fennel sausages, cooked and sliced
- 2 smoked sausages, cooked and sliced
- 150g/5½oz new potatoes, cooked and sliced
- 100-150g/3½-5½oz soured cream or crème fraîche
- 100-150g/3½-5½oz beaufort cheese or reblochon cheese
For the bread dough, place the flour in a large bowl and add the yeast and salt and mix. Slowly add 150-200ml water until it comes together as a dough. Knead for at least 5 minutes until you have a smooth dough. Place in a lightly floured, large bowl, cover and leave to prove for about an hour or until doubled in size.
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Heat a medium frying pan and add the oil, fry the trotter with the cabbage for 2-3 minutes.
Knock the air out of the dough, and roll out into a circle on a floured surface.
Place all the filling ingredients into one half of the rolled out dough circle, mix them together and then fold the other half over to make a semi-circle. Crimp the edges until well-sealed and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
Bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes or until golden-brown. When you tap the bottom it should sound hollow.
To serve, place the cooked bread onto a serving plate and tear open.