Braised lamb neck with coriander relish
For the braised lamb neck
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg/2lb 4oz middle lamb neck, cut into 2cm/¾in chunks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ head of celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, skins removed and finely chopped
- 750ml bottle dry white wine
- 6 small new potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed, cut into 3
For the coriander relish
Heat the oil in a large ovenproof dish on a medium heat. Brown the lamb on all sides (you may need to do this is in batches) then remove from the pan to a plate and set aside.
Reduce the heat, then add the onion, celery, carrots, leek and fennel and cook for 3–4 minutes, until softened. Add the wine and tomatoes, then return the lamb to the pan. Cover and cook for 2 hours, or until the lamb is soft and falling apart.
20 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the new potatoes and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Add the asparagus for the final 5 minutes.
To make the coriander relish, put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until well combined.
Serve the lamb, in bowls, with the coriander relish on top.