Braised beef rib, coconut and aubergine curry
A rich and creamy beef curry, perfect for a weekend treat.
For the marinade
For the curry
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 lemon grass sticks, shredded
- 1 large aubergine, diced
- 2 green peppers, deseeded and diced
- handful coriander, leaves and stalks separated, finely chopped
- few sprigs thyme, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tins coconut milk
- 3 baby aubergines, halved
- 1 long violet aubergine, cut into strips
- 1 lime, quartered
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add the beef ribs and mix well to coat. Place in the fridge to marinate for 12 hours.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan with a lid and cook the onions, lemongrass, aubergine, peppers and coriander stalks over a medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the ribs and marinade to the pan along with the coconut milk, cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for three hours, until the ribs are soft.
Add the rest of the aubergines and cook for another hour until soft, add some water to the pot if necessary. Season the curry to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the thyme and coriander leaves.
Heat a griddle pan over a high heat and cook the lime quarters until charred.
Serve the curry with cooked basmati rice, some coconut flakes and the charred limes.