Bolognese with parmesan crisps
- 450g/1lb lamb shoulder, bone removed, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 150g/5oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 200g/7oz tomato purée
- 2 bay leaves
- 100ml/3½fl oz rich red wine
- 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g/9oz ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 225g/8oz parmesan, finely grated
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the lamb and fry, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add the onion, red and green peppers, garlic, herbs and mushrooms to the same pan and fry until the vegetables are softened and starting to colour.
Add the tomato purée and bay leaves and cook for 7-8 minutes.
Add the wine and canned tomatoes and bring to the boil.
Return the lamb to the pan, then reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes to one hour, until the lamb is tender.
Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Divide the Bolognese mixture among six individual pie dishes or ramekins.
Cut out six circles of pastry to cover the top of each pie, then place on top of each pie.