Boiled fruit cake
- 900g/2lb mixed fruit, raisins, sultanas, chopped nuts and walnuts
- 350g/12oz sugar
- 350g/12oz margarine
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250ml/9fl oz cold water
- 250ml/9fl oz brandy
- 240g/8½oz plain flour
- 240g/8½oz self-raising flour
- 4 free-range eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 x 200g/7oz tub glacé cherries, chopped
Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 3. Grease and line three loaf tins.
Place the mixed fruit and nuts, sugar, margarine, bicarbonate of soda, water and brandy in a large pan and bring to a boil. Take the pan off the heat and allow to cool.
When the mixture has cooled, add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into the loaf tins and bake for two hours or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
If you are making this as a dairy free recipe, check the margarine before using. Some brands will not be dairy free, but many are.