Blood orange tart
How beautiful is this tart? The season for blood oranges is short, so don't miss the chance to try this.
- 200g/7oz sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 3 blood oranges, juice and zest
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 2 free-range eggs, plus 6 yolks
- 200g/7oz butter, cubed
- 25cm/10in sweetened shortcrust pastry tart shell, blind baked (you can use ready-made)
For the topping:
Whisk the sugar, orange juice and zest, orange blossom water, eggs and egg yolks together in a bowl until well combined.
Add the butter and set over a pan over simmering water. (Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water.)
Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly, until the butter has melted and the mixture has thickened.
Pour the mixture into the cooked pastry case , cover with clingfilm (to prevent a skin forming) and set aside to cool.
Arrange the orange slices on the cooled tart and sprinkle over the demerara sugar.
Using a cooks' blowtorch, heat the sugar until caramelised.
To serve, slice the tart and serve with double cream or custard.