Blackcurrant and liquorice Swiss roll
Inspired by Japanese deco rolls, Paul uses different coloured cake batters to make a patterned Swiss roll.
Equipment and preparation: You will need a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle and a hand-held electric mixer.
For the decorative sponge paste
- 70g/2½oz unsalted butter, softened
- 70g/2½oz icing sugar
- 2 free-range egg whites
- 80g/3oz plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp liquorice essence
- ½-1 tsp black food colouring paste
For the sponge
- 3 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 75g/2½oz caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 75g/2½oz self-raising flour