- 30g/1oz butter
- 100g/3½oz button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 450g/1lb sausage meat (you can easily push the meat out from the skins of readymade sausages)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 450g/1lb ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
Melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the mushrooms until soft. Transfer to a large bowl.
Add the Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, thyme and sausage meat and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Roll the puff pastry out into a large rectangle, then cut into two long rectangles.
Place a layer of sausage meat mixture down the middle of each pastry rectangle, then brush with beaten egg on one of the long edge.
Fold the other side of the pastry over onto the egg-washed edge. Press down to seal and trim any excess. Cut each pastry roll into 8-10 small sausage rolls.
Place the sausage rolls onto a baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and golden and the sausage meat is completely cooked through.