Barbecue chicken and rice wraps
Make your own quick barbecue spice mix for these easy barbecue-style chicken and rice wraps and save a packet on, er, packets. Part of Rob's chicken meal prep series, also check out his speedy chicken couscous and chicken cashew curry for the full set.
Each serving provides 671 kcal, 39g protein, 77g carbohydrates (of which 12g sugars), 19g fat (of which 5g saturates), 15g fibre and 1.9g salt.
For the barbecue spice mix
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (or paprika, if you like less heat)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the filling
- 200g/7oz skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 150g/50oz broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
- 4 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 225g/8oz cooked basmati rice
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp paprika
- squeeze lime juice (optional)
- 2 tsp finely chopped coriander
- 2 tortilla wraps
Mix together the barbecue spice mix ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
Add half of the spice mix to the chicken and mix well.
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat, add the chicken and brown all over. Check the chicken is cooked by removing a piece from the pan and cutting it open. If there is no trace of pink, the chicken is cooked. Transfer the chicken onto a plate and set aside..
In the same pan, add the broccoli and peppers and fry for 4 minutes. Add the spring onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add the rice, tomato purée, paprika, remaining barbecue seasoning mixture and a splash of water to the pan. Add the chicken back into the pan and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add a splash of lime juice at the end if you want some extra zing. Sprinkle over the coriander.
Microwave the wraps for 10 seconds to soften, then stuff with the rice and chicken and enjoy!